[XeTeX] An (almost) complete cyrunicode.tex

Evgenie Medvedev medvedev at project7.ru
Sat Jun 30 00:13:42 CEST 2007

Nikola Lecic wrote:

>   * you mixed the complete list of Slavic Cyrillic with non-complete
>     non-Slavic list;
>   * you marked as "exotic" several letters that are used by ~15 million
>     people and that exist in every normal font;

	They are exotic - to me. :) Then again, 98% of the humanity in general
is in one way or another exotic to me, so that is in no way meant as a
sign of disrespect.
	I lumped them all together because I extracted the whole list defined
in X2 in the order it was written in ther, wrote a test file and kept
messing with it until I was sure that a specific utf-8 character
produces exactly the same letter as a \cyr that I see in the dvi output
from LaTeX. While such a list can probably be recovered programmatically
from somewhere deep inside TeX internals, I'm no TeX expert. Doing an
eyeball search reasonably fast requires proficiency in reading at least
one Cyrillic language, which I do have, so I used that. :)
	As a result, the letters which do not come up often in my  language
practice (Russian, with minimal amounts of Ukrainian and Belorussian,
and occasionally seeing non-Slavic Cyrillic languages in print) were in
no particular order and grouping whatsoever, it mostly depended on how
much problems looking for the letters gave me. I'm no linguist, and
there's lots of Cyrillic languages, most of which I don't even know the
names of...

> I was very careful, and please correct me if I made some errors in this
> groupping.

	Other than the extra spaces that cropped up, it looks fine to me. I'll
try to pick out a few more sets (I suspect that a few of the Turkic
Cyrillic sets and the Chukchi set should also be complete, at least) and
post an update.

--
Evgenie Medvedev