[XeTeX] [OS X TeX] Fwd: XeLaTeX: equation falsch dargestellt

Joanna Ludmiła Ryćko rycko at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Fri Jun 29 23:39:58 CEST 2007

On 2007-06-29, at 22:19, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> This usually indicates some kind of font configuration problem; to
> find out more, try running the job in two stages (from the command
> line):
>
>     xelatex -no-pdf test.tex
>     xdvipdfmx -v -E test.xdv
>
> The first will create test.xdv (I believe this will succeed); the
> second runs the driver to convert this to test.pdf, but this time
> with -v (verbose) instead of -q (quiet), so we'll get some more
> details and perhaps be able to identify the problem.

 > xdvipdfmx -v -E test.xdv
DVI Comment:  XeTeX output 2007.06.29:2309
test.xdv -> test.pdf
[1<cmr10 at 10.91pt
** ERROR ** Unable to find TFM file "cmr10".
Output file removed.

> This is the xdv2pdf driver complaining that it can't find
> psfonts.map. Could it be that you have multiple versions of the
> binaries or the texmf.cnf file in different places, and the wrong
> ones are being found? What does "which xdv2pdf" report?

THAT'S IT! Thanks!...

Well... I found some old files in my /usr/bin. Now I removed them and
it looks better. I can produce a correct pdf file (although with cm
fonts, not with Hoefler), even if I still get some errors:
WARNING: Type1 font data returned by OFAStreamPSDownload isn't in the
correct format required by the Adobe Type 1 Font Format specification.
WARNING: Type1 font data returned by OFAStreamPSDownload isn't in the
correct format required by the Adobe Type 1 Font Format specification.
WARNING: Type1 font data returned by OFAStreamPSDownload isn't in the
correct format required by the Adobe Type 1 Font Format specification.

(It runs only with this cm-default option of the fontenc package)

In my /usr/bin there are some more old tex binaries, but I am not
able to recognize, which should I delete to get a clean system :(

One more thing: I do have the Latin Modern fonts installed on my Mac
(as my user fonts), I'm not sure if I understand it correctly, that
they will be used to typeset the math in the document, if I used the
option lm-default.

> That file is probably OK; the problem is that xdv2pdf isn't finding
> it. You can run it from the command line too, once you've created
> a .xdv output file:
>
>     xdv2pdf -d -1 test.xdv
>
> will show lots of kpathsearch tracing output, so we can see where
> it's looking.

They look good now, since I removed the files xdv2pdf from /usr/bin,
so I don't think there is still need to post here the output.

>> Maybe it will be easier for all of us, if I just install TeX again...
>
> Possibly, but if there are pieces of an old installation that are
> being found (for example), and leading to this confusion, it might
> not solve things.

:)

>> BTW Janusz Nowacki said, that – as for now – XeTeX do not work
>> with OTF fonts in math, but only with TFM fonts. I'm not sure,
>> what Hoefler Text is and actually I don't know what the TFM fonts
>> are. Do I understand it correctly, that those mathematical
>> formulas will not be typeset in Hoefler Text at all, even if my
>> system works right, but in LM/CM?
>
> Yes, partly, I think.... I don't really know much about the math
> font setup. I believe it's possible to get some parts of math to
> use other "non-math" fonts, but most fonts don't contain anywhere
> near the full collection of math symbols, so those will still have
> to come from CM (or Euler or some other math package).

But that, what I was trying to typeset, as you saw, was really simple
math – it's rather symbolic (letters), there are no complex
characters, so it would be lovely to have them in Hoefler Text, not
in cm.

> JK

JR
PS: It's a bit embarassing for me to write about my little problem to
three mailing lists parallel. Sorry for that!

--
http://typoagrafka.eu