[XeTeX] Traditional TeX ligatures once again

Evgenie Medvedev medvedev at project7.ru
Fri Jun 29 00:44:25 CEST 2007

Jonathan Kew wrote:

> OK, I have just added these to the tex-text mapping in the xetex
> repository, so they will be included by default in future packages.

	Looks like that's all of them, at least digging inside the distribution
resulted in no further clues for me, (most font definitions I've looked
through that include << and >> don't even seem to mention ,,) and web
research confirmed the ",," being (very rarely, but it's hard to google
for punctuation) recommended for use.

	I would also suggest adding the procedure to generate the .tec file in
the header of that .map file so that, while the documentation is,
understandably, lacking, in case someone needs something exotic which we
missed they'd know where to look. In case someone on the list needs it,
I'm including what I got here.

	As a side note, on average three out of four texts about LaTeX in
Russian I've seen so far only mention `` and '', which aren't even
proper typography for Russian. It's hard to be pedantic. :)

> Not for Russian, I think!  :)  Computer Modern *Roman* is Roman, not
> Cyrillic. When you switch to Russian via Babel, it implicitly changes
> the font as well, probably to a "CM-style" Cyrillic to match the
> default Roman.

	Yes, I guess that's what happens. :) Being used to 8-bit encodings, I
by default assume a font including at least both a 128-bit latin and a
128-bit naional codepage, but I forgot that TeX doesn't work quite like
that.

--
Evgenie Medvedev