[XeTeX] Traditional TeX ligatures once again

Joachim Trinkwitz jtr at uni-bonn.de
Fri Jun 29 00:42:15 CEST 2007

Am 28.06.2007 um 15:21 schrieb Evgenie Medvedev:

> I happen to write mostly in Russian and use utf-8 out of sheer
> stubbornness everywhere where at all possible, and I like the pdf
> files
> XeTeX produces a lot.
[...]
> The trend around the cyrillic TeX community is to use "<<" and ">>"
> for
> french-style quotes (\guillemotleft and \guillemotright) which are
> standard typography in Russian, and I would rather keep this
> convention.

May I say that your stubbornness and your traditionalist behaviour
sounds like a contradiction to me?  ;^)

> This is unavoidable, since Russian keyboards don't have these
> characters
> either.

Neither do german keyboards, but there is a way even in Windows (OK,
at least in german Windows, no idea if this works in yours) to input
guillemets directly: Alt + 0187 for » and Alt + 0171 for «. Wouldn't
this be an option for you (and your stubbornness)?

There is a (german commented) list with other character input
conventions at
http://tkb.design.fh-aachen.de/02_03_01_tasten.php

joachim

Dr. Joachim Trinkwitz     E-Mail: jtr at uni-bonn.de
Institut für Germanistik, Tel.: 0228-737565
Vergleichende Literatur-  Fax: 0228-737479
und Kulturwissenschaft    www.germanistik.uni-bonn.de
der Universität Bonn      53012 Bonn