[XeTeX] Arabic in XeTeX

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Thu Jun 28 18:03:58 CEST 2007

On 28 Jun 2007, at 3:55 pm, John Was wrote:

> Oops - seems I must still be doing something wrong.  My input is:
>
> \font\arabic = "Scheherazade:script=arab" at  12pt
> {\arabic
> فلقِنا [= شيخ من الصوفيّة وجماعة
> غُرَباء] في الطريق شيخاً من الحكماء
> يقال له أبو الحسن العامريّ ، وله
> كتابٌ في التصوُّف قد شَحَنَه
> بعِلمِنا وإشارتنا ، وكان من
> الجَوَّالين الذين نَقَّبوا في
> البلاد واطّلعوا على أسرار الله في
> العباد ؛}\vfill \eject
> But my output is as per the attached PDF.

According to Acrobat Reader, there's no Scheherazade in the PDF you
attached, so I suspect that was an old version!

You will also want to use right-to-left directionality, via the
\beginR (and \endR, if necessary) control sequences; set
\TeXXeTstate=1 to enable these. (This is a standard e-TeX feature,
still used in XeTeX.)

Look at the ArabicOpenType.tex sample from the Sample Files download
(see the xetex web site) as a starting point, to see how that
configures things.