[XeTeX] Spaces are lost in font names

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sun Jun 24 20:38:05 CEST 2007

On 24 Jun 2007, at 4:38 pm, Sivan Toledo wrote:

> Will's solution,
>
> \newcommand\MyFontShape[6]{\DeclareFontShape{#1}{#2}{#3}{#4}{#5}{#6}}
> \MyFontShape{U}{test}{m}{n}{<->"Times New Roman"}{}
>
> is certainly good enough for me.
>
> As to Jonathan's question:
>
> Yes, there is markup to mark the Latin words, paragraphs, etc. I
> use LyX, which works very well in these mixed-direction documents,
> and it wraps English text within the Hebrew flow with \L, as in \L
> {Matlab}. This is processed by babel to switch both direction and
> language. The problem is that babel will switch a font encoding
> when it switches language, but I don't think that there is a way to
> tell it to switch font family. I prefer to hack babel as little as
> possible, because major hacks tend to be difficult to distribute to
> other Hebrew users and to maintain.

Yes, that's understandable. My personal approach would probably be to
redefine \L (in my preamble), if that's what LyX is generating, and
add the font family switch to that. But use whatever solution works
most conveniently for you!

> I think that I still need to resolve other problems, like mirroring
> of parenthesis and some spacing problems in enumerate environments.

There is a bug in xetex 0.996 (and earlier) that messes up infinite
glue in right-to-left text, and this could well be affecting things
like list item labels (which are often set in boxes of a fixed width,
using infinite glue to deal with the alignment).

This bug will be fixed in the next release; it is corrected in the
current source code in Subversion (which will become 0.997 when
released), and a source patch for 0.996 was just posted to the tex-
live mailing list.

Mirroring of parentheses (etc) is not implemented in xetex 0.996, but
will occur automatically with later releases (thanks to an updated
version of the ICU libraries). So using the development version of
0.997 should solve this, too.

For Windows users, I believe Akira regularly builds the latest
development code and posts this on his W32TeX page; you might like to
try this and see if it resolves both the enumerate spacing and
parenthesis mirroring issues. See the XeTeX-DEV release near the end
of the page:
     <http://www.fsci.fuk.kindai.ac.jp/kakuto/win32-ptex/web2c75-e.html>