[XeTeX] Spaces are lost in font names

Sivan Toledo stoledo at tau.ac.il
Sun Jun 24 12:56:30 CEST 2007

Hi, I use a declaration like

\DeclareFontShape{EU2}{arial}{m}{n}{<-> "Times New Roman" }{}

but I am getting an error message:

! Font EU2/arial/m/n/10=TimesNewRoman at 10.0pt not loadable: Metric (TFM)
file or installed font not found.

I am running under windows, with

\XeTeXinputencoding "iso8859-8"

It seems that spaces are truncated in font names. I don't have a problem
with things like "Arial".

Any help will be appreciated.

(why I am trying to use \DeclareFontShape with a weird encoding rather rely
on fontspec:
because I am trying to get XeLaTeX to work with Hebrew documents, which
often contain latin words/phrases. Good Hebrew fonts often don't have good
Latin glyphs, so the usual solution, which works well under babel, is to
switch fonts when you switch language. There isn't a built in mechanism for
this under babel, as far as I know, so I cheat and tell babel to switch
encoding, just to force it to switch the physical font when switching
language; I am trying to get this to work with XeTeX now and I have the
above problem with spaces).