[XeTeX] Accessing mathmatics symbols

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sat Jun 23 09:33:02 CEST 2007

On 23 Jun 2007, at 7:57 am, R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar wrote:

> Using \setmainfont{FreeSerif} and running
>
> xelatex t1.tex
>
> gives me a PDF output file with the mathematics symbols still
> missing. I have attached a file, missingmaths.jpg, of the relevant
> output.  The t1.log file is also attached.

I haven't been following this closely, but I did just try your sample
here - and the math symbols appear fine for me.

Comparing your log to mine, I note a couple of things which may or
may not be relevant:

(1) There's something odd about the creation of the xelatex format on
your system - note how many of the hyphenation languages seem to be
duplicated.  I don't see how that could affect the math symbols, but
it's something that should be investigated and corrected.

(2) Some of the font support files seem to be installed under texmf/
tex/latex rather than texmf-texlive/tex/latex on your system, where
I'm assuming the latter corresponds to TeX Live's texmf-dist. Does
that mean they have been deliberately installed in a different
location from TeX Live, or does it mean that there are duplicate
copies that may be masking the original files? (The version numbers
seem to match, so there may not be any real differences, but it led
me to wonder.)