[XeTeX] Accessing mathmatics symbols

Nikola Lecic nlecic at EUnet.yu
Fri Jun 22 20:58:02 CEST 2007

Hello Chandra,

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 00:15:36 +0800
"R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar" <chandra at ee.uwa.edu.au> wrote:

> >> xelatex -output-driver="xdvipdfmx -q -E" <filename>
>
> Hendrik Fuß wrote:
>
> > Does xdvipdfmx produce any error messages if you remove the -q flag?
>
> Yes, there is a warning message and also a PDF output file that does
> not have the missing mathematics symbols:
>
> xelatex -output-driver="xdvipdfmx -E" <filename>

You don't need to specify xdvipdfmx on Linux as the output driver,
since it's the default there. Just run 'xelatex name'.

> gives
>
> ** WARNING ** Glyph "(null)" missing in font "LMMathSymbols10-Italic".
>
> > The square root sign is not taken from the mathrm font, but from
> > LaTeX's legacy math fonts (ie lmodern). My guess is you might have
> > to run updmap to update the font database for xdvipdfmx.
>
> You may have pinpointed the cause here.  I did
>
> sudo updmap-sys
>
> Among the output was:
> --------
> updmap: Generating output for ps2pk...
> updmap: Generating output for dvips...
> updmap: Generating output for pdftex...
> updmap: Generating output for dvipdfm...
> updmap: All output generated!

I think this output is always like this. May I propose the following
simplification:

(a) Take this simplified document that contains only what is necessary:

      % t1.tex
      \documentclass[a4paper,10pt]{article}
      \usepackage{fontspec}
      \setmainfont{CMU Sans Serif} % or something else, doesn't matter
      \begin{document}
      $\sqrt{2}$ is an irrational number.
      \[
      \sum_{i = 1}^{10}i = 55
      \]
      \end{document}

    Run just 'xelatex t1' and compare your t1.log with the log I
    attached. Or just post here your log.

(b) Try to run plain 'latex' on t1.tex, without fontspec, of course.

Nikola Lečić