[XeTeX] Minor updates to fontspec and xltxtra

Axel E. Retif axretif at igo.com.mx
Fri Jun 22 19:43:20 CEST 2007

On 22 Jun, 2007, at 06:59 , Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Jun 21, 2007, at 3:56 PM, Axel E. Retif wrote:
>
>> As I said a few days ago, the [no-math] option is really wonderful
>> ---
>> it's as easy as
>>
>> \usepackage[<your options>]{MinionPro}% <- MinionPro loads MnSymbol
>> \usepackage[no-math]{fontspec}
>> etc.
>>
>> The important thing is to load MinionPro, *not* MnSymbol. Of course,
>> you have to install the whole MinionPro package: if you examine with
>> Adobe Reader or Acrobat a good example typeset this way (like the AMS
>> article usually employed as math example), you'll see that some
>> characters are taken from the *.PBFs installed by the MinionPro
>> package.
>>

> Howdy,
>
> Thanks for this information. Now I'll have to convert the Minion Pro
> for use with (pdf)latex. Unfortunately, that sort of removes my need
> to use xelatex for this case, doesn't it?
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz

Yes, and no. If you want to make a paper with only Minion Pro and
MnSymbol, yes; but if you want to use other OS installed fonts, no.

Also, fontspec has many on the fly capabilities I haven't seen any
where else. Right now, the only similar capabilities in MinionPro I
can think of are \figureversion (to change, for example, to tabular
version of numerals within an environment like..., well,  tabular or
tableofcontents), \textsw (for swash capitals) and \textssc (for
spaced small capitals).

Best,

Axel