[XeTeX] fontspec and sans-serif math fonts

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 02:02:21 CEST 2007

On 22/06/2007, at 3:37 , Patrick Dondl wrote:

> I noticed that when using beamer in its standard font configuration,
> it would switch the math fonts to a sans-serif version (cmss).

Really? That's a bit weird :) I haven't used beamer too much... I've
just started on it for a presentation I have to give in a couple of
weeks and it's real nice.

> When
> using fontspec, though, they would always be reverted to the standard
> CM math font. Generally I found it a bit difficult to predict what
> fontspec would do to my maths font, i.e., when loading the 'euler'
> package, fontspec would change some of the math fonts back to CM,
> unless I used the 'cm-default' switch.

This was probably caused by the inclusion of maths in the Latin
Modern fonts in the latest TeXLive. This took me by surprise, and
fontspec had no idea -- this should be fixed now.

> To get around the sans/con serif problem, I patched fontspec a bit to
> include a 'sans' option, which makes it choose the cmss math fonts
> instead. That's a bit crude, though, and I'm wondering if I
> overlooked anything obvious there.

The latest version of fontspec has a [no-math] option to not mess
around with those things. Depending exactly what beamer does, that
may or may not solve your problem satisfactorily...

Hope this helps,
Will