[XeTeX] Proper mapping for í in bibliography - {\'\i} or {\'i} ?

Alan Munn amunn at msu.edu
Wed Jun 20 05:16:00 CEST 2007

>Le 19 juin 07 à 21:51, Nicholas Riley a écrit :
>
>>  I was attempting to fix the typesetting of a í in an author's name in
>>  a BibTeX file which BibDesk encoded as {\'\i}; instead of appearing
>>  as desired, I got a dotless i followed by a square.
>>
>>  After poking around xunicode.sty a bit I added:
>>
>>  \DeclareUTFcomposite[\UTFencname]{x00ED}{\'}{\i}
>>
>>  which seems to work, but I am wondering if this is the "right" thing
>>  to do or if BibDesk should be generating {\'i} instead...or something
>>  else?
>
>\'i won't work, it will produce an acute accent superposed on the dot
>of the "i". You really need \'\i, which places an acute accent above
>a dotless "i".
>
>That said, given the xunicode package does not seem to affect the
>output of BibTeX, an alternative is to use native UTF-8 files,
>containing directly í: in BibDesk, go to Preferences > Data
>Preferences > Files (aka Opening and Saving Preferences), then choose
>"Unicode (UTF-8)" as String Encoding and uncheck "Convert accented
>characters to TeX [...]" in Unicode to TeX Conversion.
>
>I don't guarantee this will work, as I'm not using BibDesk or BibTeX
>myself yet, but you may try though, I seem to recall Adam Maxwell,
>one of the core BibDesk developers, mentioned this on the OS X TeX list.

But bibtex  (or bibtex8) simply does not handle
Unicode at all.  (When it does, it's by luck...)

See the following thread from comp.text.tex
recently, especially the messages from Philipp
Lehman.  -Alan

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.text.tex/browse_frm/thread/7e406a5c250cc6bc/8aefd925c735c842?lnk=st&q=bibtex+unicode+group%3Acomp.text.tex&rnum=1&hl=en#8aefd925c735c842
--
Alan Munn
amunn at msu.edu
Department of Linguistics
and Germanic, Slavic, Asian and African Languages   Fax.  +1-517-432-2736
Michigan State University, East Lansing MI 48824      Tel.  +1-517-355-7491