[XeTeX] \font syntax

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Tue Jul 31 16:15:45 CEST 2007

On Jul 31, 2007, at 9:56 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> Another thing I've sometimes considered is an extended \XeTeXfont
> command with optional keyword-argument pairs:
>
>    \XeTeXfont\serp = "Serpentine" renderer "ICU" mapping "tex-text"
>        features "+smcp;+onum;-liga" slant "0.2" at 12pt % etc
>
> as an alternative to packing everything into the "filename" that
> \font expects. We already have the "scaled" and "at" keywords for the
> \font command, but why not extend this to cover more aspects of
> instantiating a font?

_This_ I really like.

It would handle a lot of things elegantly and nicely and has a lot of
potential (esp. in the ``%etc'').

It might be worth discussing it w/ the luatex folks to see what they
think --- if a standardized interface for this could be worked out
for both xetex and luatex life for folks like Hans would become much
simpler I believe.

William

--
William Adams