[XeTeX] \font syntax

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Jul 31 13:56:31 CEST 2007

Le 31 juil. 07 à 13:27, Jonathan Kew a écrit :

> But I'm
> interested to hear what people think.... anyone else with opinions on
> this?

The syntax "..." for a font name is slightly confusing, given double
quotes have for some time been used in TeX (at least on the Mac) to
delimit a file name, for example in a \special or \includegraphics
command, allowing the file name to include spaces.

Personally I never completely understood what a font name is exactly
(Full name, or PostScript name, or Unique name).

I must admit I'm quite lost among the various font calls in XeTeX
(with or without quotes, with or without brackets), and the various
ways in which they are used in fontspec commands in LaTeX. I'm
waiting for an updated XeTeX documentation to look at this seriously.

If a default has to be chosen, I don't think it should be file name
specification ([...] if I understood correctly). Compatibility with
standard TeX (i.e. Knuth's TeX) would dictate tfm name, while user-
friendliness would dictate font name. But being a Mac addict and
quite reluctant to anything command-line (including path and file
name specifications), I'm certainly biased about those things.

Bruno Voisin