[XeTeX] \font syntax

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Tue Jul 31 13:00:16 CEST 2007

well, sslt____.ttf is as cryptic -) (Serpentine)

> Traditionally, tfm names cannot contain spaces (because old TeX
> versions couldn't parse such names), and don't need quoting (which
> TeX didn't support). Font names, on the other hand, often contain
> spaces and do need quotes. So the convention in XeTeX is that when
> \font sees a quoted name, it treats it as the *font name* of a system-
> installed font (TrueType, OpenType, Type 1), whereas when it sees an
> unquoted name, it treats it as a tfm name and searches the texmf tree
> (s) in the usual way.
>
> Given that the two types of font are often not completely
> interchangeable (e.g., they use different encodings), and are being
> identified by names of different kinds in different "namespaces", I'm
> inclined to think that maintaining a distinction is a good thing. So
>    \font\A = phvr8r at 10pt
> is expected to load Helvetica via a TFM file with the 8r encoding, while
>    \font\B = "Helvetica" at 10pt
> is expected to load the Unicode-encoded Helvetica (regardless of
> filename) on the platform. Those are two entirely separate kinds of
> name (and font); is it wise to confuse them?

i guess that the danger of clash is minimal

> The newer "[.....]" syntax, I grant, is a bit of a hybrid, as it
> allows you to load an OpenType (or TrueType) font by filename,
> regardless of the true font name; and the font need not be
> "installed" where general applications can access it. I didn't really
> expect this to be widely used; the "normal" ways to access fonts are
> via tfm names (for legacy TeX fonts) or via "real names" (for
> installed fonts on the platform). Having to install .otf files into
> the texmf tree, update ls-r files, and refer to them by their (often
> slightly cryptic) filenames rather than the human-readable font names
> seems to me to negate some of the benefits of XeTeX's approach.
>
> Having said this, it used to be that XeTeX would try both kinds of
> font search, so if an installed font wasn't found for a "quoted"
> name, it would fall back on searching for a tfm; and if a tfm wasn't
> found for an unquoted name, it would fall back on searching for an
> installed font by name. I backed away from that behavior a long time
> ago now, as it seemed to be more confusing than helpful, but we could
> reconsider it. I'd be interested to hear other people's opinions on
> this.

but why not use the 'tfm search' as a fallback then? if a "name" cannot
be resolved, search for a tfm one instead

> If we do go that way, I guess you'd want it to try searching for
> a .ttf or .otf file by filename, too. There are actually three
> separate naming schemes: tfm name, opentype filename, or opentype
> font name. Currently, each scheme is deliberately distinguished at
> the \font declaration level; the question is whether to erase those
> distinctions. And if so, what order of precedence should we use?
> E.g., if the texmf tree contains both lmr10.tfm and lmr10.otf, should
> the declaration
>    \font\lm=lmr10
> load the tfm file (implying a legacy TeX encoding), or should it load
> the opentype font (Unicode)? The results will differ. (Which gets us
> back to why I think users -- or package writers -- need to be
> conscious of which they're asking for.)

i'd go for otf first tfm next

anyway, there is currently no way to force xetex into a 'try hard to
find a match'; why not:

"name" -> locate otf/ttf/type1 by name, and then by file, and fallback
to tfm

name   -> locate tfm file and fallback to otf/ttf/type1 by name and then
by file

"[name]" -> locate otf/ttf/type1 by file, and then by name and then
fallback to tfm

(in that case i'd use "[name]" by default here -)
Hans