[XeTeX] \font syntax

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Tue Jul 31 12:28:38 CEST 2007

On 31 Jul 2007, at 9:25 am, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Hi Jonathan,
>
> (to the list because my mails bounce)
>
> Is there a reason why
>
>    \font\test="rm-lmr7"
>
> fails, i.e. quotes are not accepted around a tfm name?
>
> The same for:
>
>    \font\test=[rm-lmr7]
>
> This fact that this gives error messages (is not accepted) makes it
> nearly impossible to implement robust interfaces (esp because i don't
> want users to be bothered by a font being tfm or otf or whatever
> and let
> them provide quotes themselves when needed)

It seems to me that there's a pretty clear distinction between "tfm
names", which are the usually-cryptic names of TeX-specific files
that define a particular font *and encoding* (and are normally hidden
from end users behind higher-level packages) and "font names" as
normally used in XeTeX, which are the "real names" of fonts, as
provided by the designer/vendor, independent of the file name on disk.

Traditionally, tfm names cannot contain spaces (because old TeX
versions couldn't parse such names), and don't need quoting (which
TeX didn't support). Font names, on the other hand, often contain
spaces and do need quotes. So the convention in XeTeX is that when
\font sees a quoted name, it treats it as the *font name* of a system-
installed font (TrueType, OpenType, Type 1), whereas when it sees an
unquoted name, it treats it as a tfm name and searches the texmf tree
(s) in the usual way.

Given that the two types of font are often not completely
interchangeable (e.g., they use different encodings), and are being
identified by names of different kinds in different "namespaces", I'm
inclined to think that maintaining a distinction is a good thing. So
   \font\A = phvr8r at 10pt
is expected to load Helvetica via a TFM file with the 8r encoding, while
   \font\B = "Helvetica" at 10pt
is expected to load the Unicode-encoded Helvetica (regardless of
filename) on the platform. Those are two entirely separate kinds of
name (and font); is it wise to confuse them?

The newer "[.....]" syntax, I grant, is a bit of a hybrid, as it
allows you to load an OpenType (or TrueType) font by filename,
regardless of the true font name; and the font need not be
"installed" where general applications can access it. I didn't really
expect this to be widely used; the "normal" ways to access fonts are
via tfm names (for legacy TeX fonts) or via "real names" (for
installed fonts on the platform). Having to install .otf files into
the texmf tree, update ls-r files, and refer to them by their (often
slightly cryptic) filenames rather than the human-readable font names
seems to me to negate some of the benefits of XeTeX's approach.

Having said this, it used to be that XeTeX would try both kinds of
font search, so if an installed font wasn't found for a "quoted"
name, it would fall back on searching for a tfm; and if a tfm wasn't
found for an unquoted name, it would fall back on searching for an
installed font by name. I backed away from that behavior a long time
ago now, as it seemed to be more confusing than helpful, but we could
reconsider it. I'd be interested to hear other people's opinions on
this.

If we do go that way, I guess you'd want it to try searching for
a .ttf or .otf file by filename, too. There are actually three
separate naming schemes: tfm name, opentype filename, or opentype
font name. Currently, each scheme is deliberately distinguished at
the \font declaration level; the question is whether to erase those
distinctions. And if so, what order of precedence should we use?
E.g., if the texmf tree contains both lmr10.tfm and lmr10.otf, should
the declaration
   \font\lm=lmr10
load the tfm file (implying a legacy TeX encoding), or should it load
the opentype font (Unicode)? The results will differ. (Which gets us
back to why I think users -- or package writers -- need to be
conscious of which they're asking for.)