[XeTeX] Palatino and mapping error?

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Tue Jul 31 04:12:43 CEST 2007

Hi Joachim,

On 31/07/2007, at 9:17 AM, Joachim Trinkwitz wrote:

> Am 29.07.2007 um 19:24 schrieb Alex Hamann:
>
>> \begin{document}
>> im Klett--Cotta Verlag
>> \end{document}
>
> Since your problem is solved now: Why do you think you should use an
> en-dash in this case? It's neither a »Gedankenstrich« nor an
> »Erstreckungsstrich« (two kinds of dashes in german typography), so
> one should use a short hyphen (»Bindestrich«) between the two names.
> A quick look in some books from Klett-Cotta on my bookshelfs doesn't
> show any dashes either.

This is German, so I have no opinion.
But if it were English, the the issue would ride on whether
the name comes from one or two people.

Klett-Cotta would refer to a single person inheriting names
from different parents; e.g. a woman formerly named Klett
marrying a Cotta and retaining both names.

Klett--Cotta would be something formed by people named Klett
and Cotta; e.g. a jointly authored research paper.

In practice, most people do not know about such niceties
of typesetting, so you mostly see just Klett-Cotta also
in the latter case. Hence just looking at common usage
need not really be a good indication of what is "correct".

Since you mention the German names  »Gedankenstrich«
and  »Erstreckungsstrich«  would you tell me just what
these are please? Are they the  endash  and  emdash ?
Or something else?  And what are the rules on their usage?

> Just curious,

So am I.
But about something else.

	Cheers,