[XeTeX] Lucida Bright problem with 0.997

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sat Jul 28 21:41:01 CEST 2007

On 28 Jul 2007, at 7:55 pm, Stephen Moye wrote:

> On Jul 28, 2007, at 2:42 PM, Stephen Moye wrote:
>
>> The code at the end of this note works with pdflatex and xelatex
>> (0.996), but causes this error with xelatex 0.997:
>>
>> Package fontspec Warning:
>>     Adjusting the maths setup (use [no-math] to avoid this).
>> This warning occured on input line 33.
>>
>> [1] (./testart.aux)
>> Output file removed.

This message comes from xdvipdfmx if it encounters an error of some
kind and is unable to continue generating the pdf. You're getting it
with the latest xetex because it now uses xdvipdfmx by default, and
apparently that can't handle your document. :-(

Running "xelatex -no-pdf testart.tex" followed by "xdvipdfmx -vv
testart.xdv" may give some clues, as xdvipdfmx with the -vv option
will report its progress so you might see where it dies.

What format are your Lucida Bright fonts? Are you perhaps using an
old set of "classic-style" LWFN PostScript fonts and an accompanying
suitcase of bitmaps? I haven't tried any such fonts lately but it
could be that xdvipdfmx doesn't handle them; looking into this is on
my "to do" list, but I haven't got to it yet.

If you run xelatex with the option  -output-driver=xdv2pdf  it should
revert to 0.996-style behavior, but this is only a workaround, not a
proper explanation/solution.