[XeTeX] duplicate embedded fonts

Nikola Lecic nlecic at EUnet.yu
Sat Jul 28 01:01:12 CEST 2007

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 18:21:25 +0100
Hendrik Fuß <hendrik.fuss at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using xetex and xdvipdfmx to typeset a document which imports
> several PDF figures. The figures use the same fonts as the main
> document, but since they all have their own font subsets embedded, I
> end up with a PDF which has hundreds of subsets of the same font,
> some of which have different encodings. I have heard that this can
> cause problems with some reprographic setups, but apart from that, I
> think the file size could be greatly reduced by removing these fonts.
> Does anybody know a simple way to do this?
>
> I used Illustrator to create most of the figures, which seems to
> always embed fonts in its PDF files.

Hello Hendrik,

I can't tell you what to do in Illustrator (I don't have/use it) but
here is how I create figures for my PDFs.

I use Inkscape (http://www.inkscape.org/) and I attached 5 files:

(1) mini.svg -- a simple figure that contains text in Gentium, for work
    in Inkscape;

(2) then I save it as EPS in Inkscape. I attached two files:

    * mini.eps, saved with default options

        | Make bounding box around full page    no  |
        | Convert text to paths                 yes |
        | Embed fonts (Type 1 only)             no  |

    * mini-noconvert.eps, with "Convert text to paths" set to "no";

(3) then I use Thomas Esser's 'epstopdf.pl' which crops them and convert
    to PDF (mini.pdf, mini-noconvert.pdf).

For my work I usually convert text to paths since the resulting PDFs
are of acceptible size (even with lots of text).

Please compare results; I guess you can do the same in Illustrator
(save your work as EPS and then crop/convert to PDF with epstopdf.pl) if
you can't tell it not to embed fonts in PDFs.

Nikola Lečić