[XeTeX] 0.997 font oddity

Adam Twardoch list.adam at twardoch.com
Fri Jul 27 16:06:38 CEST 2007

Stephen Moye wrote:
> Well, no, I could send it to someone who is not on a Mac and should view or print
> the file -- not possible if the fonts are not embedded, which, I think, is what the
> message is getting at (?).

No.

The message is not "getting at" anything. The message says that the
document contains fonts that only allow font embedding for the purpose
of printing and previewing. I.e. the document with the font embedded
cannot be modified (or at least, the text in that document cannot). But
this is different from no embedding at all -- TrueType and OpenType have
a provision for such fonts as well, but it is rarely used. The most
popular levels of font embedding permissions are "Print & Preview" and
"Editable".

Adam

--

Adam Twardoch