[XeTeX] 0.997 font oddity

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Jul 27 13:32:27 CEST 2007

On 27 Jul 2007, at 10:55 am, Stephen Moye wrote:

> I updated XeTeX this morning from the svn source. At random, I
> picked a file to TeX -- (fontspec-example.tex see below).
>
> There is this message in the log file:
>
>       ** NOTICE: This document contains a `Preview & Print only'
> licensed font **
>
> I tried commenting out all of the fonts (and deleting euler from
> the \usepackage command), but the message was still there. Where is
> it coming
> from? Presumably this is spurious, as all of the fonts requested
> seem to be embedded and subsetted in the resulting PDF, whether
> using the original fonts or commenting them out. Just curious...

It's coming from xdvipdfmx, which has become the default output
driver for 0.997, replacing xdv2pdf (which remains available via the -
output-driver option). And it's not spurious, just an information
message (though I'll probably suppress it except when running with
the verbose option).

TrueType and OpenType fonts contain flags that are supposed to
indicate any license restrictions on embedding the fonts in
documents, and xdvipdfmx informs you of such restrictions. But this
particular message doesn't really seem very useful; it's not like you
can do much with the PDF except Preview and Print anyway, usually!