[XeTeX] Color Hebrew Vowel Points

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Jul 25 09:48:32 CEST 2007

On 25 Jul 2007, at 8:30 am, John Was wrote:

> If \phantom works as normal in XeTeX I would simply include the
> long o vowel
> in the black text and surround it with \phantom{} so that the two
> boxes
> remain of equal width.

\phantom should work in xetex, but this unlikely to have the desired
effect because it will break up the text run. Therefore, the
contextual processing of the characters will be interrupted, and
again, the results are likely to differ.

You could do this if it were merely a case of a character that has
some fixed width, but I think the actual behavior is more complex;
it's the specific lamed+dot combination that matters.

It would still be possible to get the right visual results, using
more hackery (e.g., set lamed+dot into a temporary box, measure the
width, and then explicitly set lamed+\hfil to the same width), but
that's getting pretty cumbersome.