[XeTeX] Printers & PDFs created by XeTeX

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Mon Jul 23 15:32:41 CEST 2007

On Jul 23, 2007, at 9:01 AM, Evgenie Medvedev wrote:

> 	I kept meaning to ask about that bit. My favorite printer company
> prefers PDF, but they also warn you that if anything inside is in RGB,
> fixing any color drift is your problem, since the best they can do
> with
> it is print a proof.

When they say this, what they mean is that colour-correcting is up to
you, since they don't want to change the calibration on their workflow.

Depending on how you feel about multiple proofs (and how much they
charge) this can be a valid way to work. (Generate a  .pdf, send out
for a proof, tweak RGB original or [your] calibration settings based
on proof, repeat).

> 	Is there a way to somehow ensure that all colors in a XeTeX-generated
> PDF are in CMYK already, through some special handling of images
> before
> insertion or through a TeX mechanism? Failing that, is it possible to
> convert a resulting PDF to CMYK for printing somehow and see if
> there's
> a problem before submitting?

Yes, placed image format / colour models will be preserved, so create
in / convert to CMYK in advance.

Text / rules will be as specified, so specify all colours in CMYK ---
please note that on-screen appearance will be approximated --- how
close will depend on how well your monitor is calibrated. A good
printer, for a large customer will usually be willing to do an on-
site visit to calibrate your equipment and discuss this sort of thing.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer