[XeTeX] font expansion in XeTeX?

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon Jul 23 12:44:41 CEST 2007

Hi Pablo,

On 22 Jul 2007, at 1:56 pm, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:

> Hi Jonathan and everyone,
>
> a month ago I sent a message to the list asking whether XeTeX will
> (ever) implement font expansion as pdftex does.

Sorry, I recall seeing your previous message but didn't respond right
away, and then have been distracted....

> Since that message had no reply, I wonder whether there is something
> that would prevent font expansion in XeTeX or it hasn't been
> planned at all.

The pdftex-style "microtypography" features (margin kerning and font
expansion) are probably the #1 feature requests I hear for xetex.
(There has been some previous discussion on the list, if you care to
search in the archives.)

There is no current work in this area; I'd like to finalize a "1.0"
release that can be considered stable, feature-complete, and
documented, before attempting a major new feature like that. But it
is definitely something I'd like to include eventually, for a future
version.