[XeTeX] Arabic in XeTeX

Manuel Souto Pico m.soutopico at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 21:22:23 CEST 2007

Hi,

I've just seen this thread and my reply might arrive too late, but
just in case here it goes.

I've been using xelatex for some time to typeset examples in Arabic in
my thesis dissertation.

This is a simplified version of my document, I hope someone finds it
useful now or in the future:

%!TEX TS-program = xelatex (percetange, admiration, etc.)
%!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode
\documentclass[a4paper,10pt,oneside]{report}
%\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}    % more utf-8
\usepackage[catalan,spanish,british]{babel}
%\usepackage[OT2,OT1,LAE,LFE,T1]{fontenc}

%%% FONTS
\usepackage{fontspec}% provides font selecting commands
\usepackage{xunicode}% provides unicode character macros
\usepackage{xltxtra} % provides some fixes/extras
\setromanfont{Palatino}%Times Roman}

%%% ARABIC SCRIPT
\newfontfamily\arabicfont{Scheherazade-AAT}
\newcommand\arabi[1]{{\fontsize{18}{18}\arabicfont#1}}

\begin{document}

In Arabic, the verb and the subject agree: e.g. \arabi{هي تتكلم} 'she
talks-fem' vs. \arabi{هو يتكلم} 'he talks-masc'.

\end{document}

Cheers, Manuel