[XeTeX] Θέμα: Re: An (almost) complete cyrunicode.tex

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Wed Jul 4 13:21:12 CEST 2007

Hello all.

I think the specific discussion of this matter should continue off list, but
in a desperate attempt to relate it to the legitimate job of XeTeX, might I
just note that the impetus behind the Unicode project is surely to
facilitate civilized communication between human beings all over the planet,
and it is a great shame to see experts in the field squabbling at a personal
level over these matters.

While all XeTeX users are involved in the business of presenting written
languages, I think we should spare a moment at this juncture in the
discussion thread to think of the many thousands of preliterate cultures
which were displaced by our ancestors:  these forgotten people lived and
flourished all over Europe and other parts of the planet, spoke languages
that we would dearly like to know more about, but had the misfortune not to
be able to leave any written accounts of their way of life, so alas XeTeX
and Unicode cannot come to their rescue.  The Greeks invaded Greece, the
Celts invaded Britain (then the Romans, then the Vikings, then the
French...!), and so on, evicting or assimilating the previous tenants, and
no doubt destined to be evicted or assimilated them(our)selves in due
course.  There are possibly a few - very few - in Africa who can say they
sprang from the soil (and DNA profiling might yet allow them to lay claim to
that venerable status); the rest of us are colonizers, invaders, and
modfiiers and vandalizers of preceding cultures, not deliberately (well,
sometimes...) but just because we instinctively move to take over attractive
locations, which are almost always already occupied.  We are all cuckoos.

In the meantime, can we not try to get on a bit better?  We are all going to
be 'evicted' soon on an individual level when death catches up, so I hope
the available time can be used to further the cause of civil discourse
between people from every linguistic culture, in which Unicode and XeTeX
play such an important part.

Oh dear, maybe I should have become a minister....

Best

John