[XeTeX] linguistics trees using qtree: no go

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Jan 31 23:06:58 CET 2007

On 31 Jan 2007, at 9:54 pm, Will Robertson wrote:

> On 01/02/2007, at 2:12 , Bruno Voisin wrote:
>
>> However, the /B font "modifier" of XeTeX doesn't work fully for this
>> font: the font comes in 4 weights Light, Regular, Semibold and Bold;
>> Light/B switches to Semibold, as I suppose is intended, but Regular/B
>> switches also to Semibold, not Bold. Arguably, the Bold weight is a
>> bit heavy to my untrained eyes. But isn't Regular/B supposed to yield
>> Bold?
>
> This is all a little black magic, as I understand it. Does Semibold/B
> go to Bold? I think Jonathan's intention was to have /B move up the
> boldness scale one step at a time, but who knows if the font vendors
> embed the right information, correctly, inside their fonts.

Yes, it's all rather mysterious. The intent of /B is to pick
something "suitably bolder" than the starting point. In a family with
many weights, this may well be more than one step up the scale, but
not necessarily all the way to the boldest available weight. But
exactly what you'll get can be difficult to predict, depending on
somewhat arbitrary values the font vendor has assigned.

When you want accurate control in complex families, I'd recommend
explicitly naming the faces you want to use (with fontspec's
[BoldFont=...] option, for example) rather than relying on the
automatic choice of a bold version. The /B modifier is meant as a
convenience for simple cases, but may not be adequate in a richer
environment.