[XeTeX] XeTeX, fancy headers and htlatex

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Tue Jan 30 21:54:09 CET 2007

Am 30.01.2007 um 15:29 schrieb Rene Borgella:

>  ********************************************
>  * XeTeX is required to compile this document.
>  * Sorry!
>  ********************************************.
> \RequireXeTeX ...********************************}
>                                                   \endgroup \fi
> l.18 \RequireXeTeX

René,

htlatex uses latex to run the LaTeX source three times. Then the
tex4ht programme reads the DVI output – which you won't get even if
you would substitute latex with xelatex in the htlatex script.

It makes no sense to use a XeTeX or XeLaTeX source to create HTML
from it. What makes XeTeX or XeLaTeX so fascinating? It's the non-TeX
look of its output, coming from the use of special system fonts. And
it's the typographical features of a font that can be used to set the
PDF output (sub and superscripts, lining or old-style digits, small
caps, swashes or other alternate glyph forms, ligatures, text
mappings, and activating particular features of the font for the
language used (Arabic with Latin ligatures would not look good). I am
sure that both can't be seen in an HTML file.

Make use of Robert's "bilingual" template. For PDF you would use all
of the features available in XeTeX, for output from LaTeX you could
include micro-typography and for conversion to HTML make it even
simpler. More effort won't be seen (IMO).

--
Greetings
                                  <]