[XeTeX] Emacs (X11) and XeTeX

Martin Steer m.steer at coombs.anu.edu.au
Tue Jan 30 15:32:50 CET 2007

Stephen Moye <stephenmoye at mac.com> writes:

> I am now quite happily using emacs under X11. I'd like to be able to
> run XeTeX (preferably with options such as -output-driver=..., or,
> better, run shell scripts such as TeXShop's 'engines') in much the
> same way that a LaTeX file is run (C-c C-c), say, with something like
> C-c C-x. It just occurred to me that it would be nice if emacs could
> be persuaded to read the %!TEX comments and act accordingly.

It's easy enough to add a xetex command to auctex, using the
'TeX Command' customization buffer. I have the following in the 'TeX
Command List':

INS DEL Name: XeLaTeX
            Command: xelatex %t
            How: Value Menu TeX-run-command
            Create a process for NAME using COMMAND to process FILE. More
            Prompt: Toggle  off (nil)
            Modes: Value Menu All
            Menu elements:
            INS

Which adds 'XeLaTeX' to the commands which can be called with C-c C-c.
'XeLaTeX' can be made the default, for instance by using a local
variables declaration at the end of your file:

%% Local variables:
%% TeX-command-default: "XeLaTeX"
%% End:

There are no doubt a number of other ways to achieve a similar result.

> Is anyone doing this currently? Would there be a more effective place
> to post this query?

You could always try the auctex list (on gmane).

--
Martin