[XeTeX] Scaling a font

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon Jan 29 14:08:53 CET 2007

On 29 Jan 2007, at 11:24 am, Will Robertson wrote:

> On 29/01/2007, at 19:44 , Tim Eyre ティム wrote:
>
>> \font\sc="MyriadPro-It:+onum,scale=800" at 10pt
>
> I think that TeX has this built in, something like
>
> \font\sc="MyriadPro-It:+onum" scaled 800 at 10pt

Sorry, Will, that won't work!

In TeX's \font command, you can either "at <size>" or "scaled
<number>" to load a font at something other than its design size
(which XeTeX always treats as 10pt for non-TFM fonts). But you can't
use both "at" and "scaled" together. The first one will end the font
specification, and the second will simply get printed as text.

For xelatex users, fontspec provides the [Scale=...] option, doesn't
it? So it would be possible to use \newfontinstance to load a reduced-
size font, I suppose. But what that's doing at a lower level is
simply calculating a new "at size". There's no built-in facility to
use a scale factor in addition to the absolute point size in a
primitive font declaration.

I'm interested in adding a more general "matrix=...." option to the
\font command sometime in the future, so that you can do non-linear
scaling, skewing, etc., but this isn't available at present.