[XeTeX] Fwd: [OS X TeX] Wanted: XeTeX HOWTO

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sun Jan 21 13:23:08 CET 2007

Le 21 janv. 07 à 10:10, Arno Kruse a écrit :

> (so I have bought Lucida fonts some months ago and despair, the lot
> of instructions published on the Mac TeX mailing list appeal scaring
> to me)

Not wanting to make this thread longer, but just a side note on this
tangential issue: if you purchased Lucida, from either TUG or PCTeX,
they must have come with installation instructions. Hence you can
just ignore the instructions on the OS X TeX mailing list, they are
superseded by these new instructions.

According to reports from people who purchased the fonts from TUG,
the only additional step to be taken (apart from putting the .pfb
font files inside ~/Library/texmf/fonts/type1/bh/lucida) is download
the Lucida support files from CTAN at <http://www.ctan.org/tex-
archive/fonts/psfonts/bh/lucida/>, and install all the bits at the
appropriate places. This corresponds to task 3 in the instructions I
posted on the OS X TeX list.

To recap:

- Install the .afm files: move the content of fonts/afm/bh/lucida/ to
~/Library/texmf/fonts/afm/bh/lucida/.

- Install the .tfm files: move the content of fonts/tfm/bh/lucida/ to
~/Library/texmf/fonts/tfm/bh/lucida/.

- Install the .vf files: move the content of fonts/vf/bh/lucida/ to ~/
Library/texmf/fonts/vf/bh/lucida/.

- Install the .map file: move the file fonts/map/dvips/lucida.map to
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/lucida/lucida.map.

- Install the .fd files: move the content of tex/latex/lucida/ to ~/
Library/texmf/tex/latex/lucida/.

- Install the documentation files: move the content of doc/fonts/
lucida/ to ~/Library/texmf/doc/fonts/lucida/.

- Update the global map files for dvips, pdfTeX and the like: in
Terminal, type:

	sudo updmap-sys --enable Map lucida.map

An then to use the fonts simply type, for example:

	\usepackage[LY1]{fontenc}
	\usepackage[expert]{lucidabr}

In the LY1 encoding, the Lucida support in LaTeX does not make use of
virtual fonts, and hence works with XeTeX.

Now, if you purchased the Lucida fonts from standard font purveyors
like Adobe, Linotype, etc., then these fonts may be used for text
thanks to XeTeX but not for maths: you need the Lucida New Math
subset, which AFAIK only TUG and PCTeX are providing. In case you are
in that situation, then you're probably better off with word
processors like Pages, MS Office, OpenOffice or InDesign.

Note that some Lucida fonts come with Word 2004: Lucida Blackletter,
Bright, Calligraphy, Fax, Handwriting, Sans and Sans Typewriter,
installed in ~/Library/Fonts/ when you first launch Word.

Bruno