[XeTeX] Fwd: [OS X TeX] Wanted: XeTeX HOWTO

Arno Kruse ak2.71 at gmx.net
Sat Jan 20 12:19:53 CET 2007

Am 19.01.2007 um 18:56 schrieb William Adams:

> On Jan 19, 2007, at 10:19 AM, Arno Kruse wrote:
>
>> Now I am hopeful. Shall I really be able to use Cairo again?
>
> Which Cairo font do you mean? The one which Susan Kare did:
>
> http://www.kare.com/MakePortfolioPage.cgi?page=4

Yes and no (!). I have Cairo in another format: Cairo TT.dfont and
Cairo TT. But the glyphs are the same.

> Using normal outline fonts in XeTeX is really easy however, esp. w/
> Will Robertson's Fontspec package:
>
> %!TEX TS-program = xelatex
> %!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode
> \documentclass{minimal}
> \usepackage{fontspec}
> \setromanfont{Hoefler Text}
> \begin{document}
> This is set in Hoefler Text.
> \end{document}
>
> William

<snip>

Yes, this seems to be pretty easy. My remarks are related to the
general problem: Bad, incomplete, incomprehensible instructions and
tutorials everywhere, making it often extremely difficult to work
with new programs.

And with XeLaTeX I had a lot of problems: My attempts to use
former .tex files failed. I did not find help, but I also did not
want to ask yet more stupid questions than I do conveniently - all
others seem to be able to work with XeLaTeX successfully, only I am
too stupid obviously.

Alas, many thanks for your help

Arno