[XeTeX] Arno conundrum

Adam Twardoch list.adam at twardoch.com
Wed Jan 10 15:22:18 CET 2007

Jonathan Kew wrote:
> OK, I've looked into it a little, and believe this is the case. In
> technical terms, the Arno Pro font shares some lookups between
> multiple features, as an optimization of the OpenType GSUB table, and
> the layout engine in ICU 3.4 (used by xetex) doesn't handle this. I
> think this is the first font I've seen that's constructed in this way.

I’ve seen numerous. It’s pretty common design practice, in both
"European typographic" and "complex script linguistic" OpenType domains.
Very often, "salt" and "ssXX" features use the same lookups, sometimes
features such as "sinf" and "dnom". In some fonts, figures are converted
into old-style numerals using the same lookup associated with both
"onum" and "smcp". Etc.

A.

--

Adam Twardoch