[XeTeX] fontspec doesn't like authors with accents...

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Jan 10 00:21:01 CET 2007

On 9 Jan 2007, at 4:50 pm, Fabrice Nauze wrote:

> Hello everyone,
> I'm wondering whether someone would know a trick to solve my problem:
> Say you have a bib file with an entry 'test' which author's name
> contains accents as follows,
>
> @book{test,
> 	Author = {M\"{o}\c{s}{\i}{\"o}},
> 	Booktitle = {Accents in Author},
> 	Publisher = {XeLaTeX},
> 	Title = {Accents in author},
> 	Year = {2006}}
>
> If you cite this entry \cite{test} using a bib-style returning the
> name of the author in brackets (as astron or kluwer styles), i.e.:
>
> \documentclass{article}
> %% \usepackage{harvard}
> \usepackage{fontspec}
> \begin{document}
> \cite{test}
> %% \citeasnoun{test}
> \bibliography{test}
> \bibliographystyle{astron} %% kluwer style with harvard package to
> use \citeasnoun
> \end{document}
[snip]

A couple of thoughts:

(1) Have you tried loading the xunicode package? This is generally
the proper way to support "legacy" LaTeX accent commands (rather than
actual Unicode accented letters in the input) when using xelatex and
fontspec.

(2) I notice that you've loaded fontspec but not specified a font.
Exactly what happens then may depend on the version you're using, as
I think Will has fairly recently changed it to use LM fonts in place
of CM by default. But you might like to try explicitly selecting a
font with \setromanfont{...} and see if that makes a difference.