[XeTeX] New font to play w/ ``Arno Pro'' bundled w/ the Adobe PS CS3 beta

Stephen Moye stephenmoye at mac.com
Wed Jan 3 19:05:36 CET 2007

 On Wednesday, January 03, 2007, at 08:01AM, "William Adams" <will.adams at frycomm.com> wrote:
>Thomas Phinney says of it:
>> Arno Pro is an Adobe Original designed by Robert Slimbach. It is
>> something of a modernized Venetian oldstyle; I think of it having
>> the same relationship to Adobe Jenson that Minion has to Garamond
>> Premier.
>> Broadly speaking, Arno has the same range of language support and
>> typographic features that you've come to expect in recent Adobe
>> releases.
>>
>> The version of Arno Pro seen with Photoshop CS3 beta is also in
>> beta. There may be further changes in the release version
>> (including changing the naming scheme back to the same one we've
>> already been using).
>>
>> More detailed information about Arno will be available in a few
>> months.
>
>Optical sizes (and a neat example of why using LaTeX and fontspec w/
>an indirect reference to the font is better since the size-naming
>will be changing).
>
>Pasting in a list of filenames below.
>
>William
>
>ArnoPro-Bold08pt.otf
>ArnoPro-Bold10pt.otf
>ArnoPro-Bold12pt.otf
>ArnoPro-Bold18pt.otf
>ArnoPro-Bold36pt.otf
>ArnoPro-BoldItalic08pt.otf
>ArnoPro-BoldItalic10pt.otf
>ArnoPro-BoldItalic12pt.otf
>ArnoPro-BoldItalic18pt.otf
>ArnoPro-BoldItalic36pt.otf
>ArnoPro-Italic08pt.otf
>ArnoPro-Italic10pt.otf
>ArnoPro-Italic12pt.otf
>ArnoPro-Italic18pt.otf
>ArnoPro-Italic36pt.otf
>ArnoPro-Light36pt.otf
>ArnoPro-LightItalic36pt.otf
>ArnoPro-Regular08pt.otf
>ArnoPro-Regular10pt.otf
>ArnoPro-Regular12pt.otf
>ArnoPro-Regular18pt.otf
>ArnoPro-Regular36pt.otf
>ArnoPro-Semibold08pt.otf
>ArnoPro-Semibold10pt.otf
>ArnoPro-Semibold12pt.otf
>ArnoPro-Semibold18pt.otf
>ArnoPro-Semibold36pt.otf
>ArnoPro-SemiboldItalic08pt.otf
>ArnoPro-SemiboldItalic10pt.otf
>ArnoPro-SemiboldItalic12pt.otf
>ArnoPro-SemiboldItalic18pt.otf
>ArnoPro-SemiboldItalic36pt.otf

Nice typeface. "otfinfo -f ..." reveals an intriguing array of possibilities.

Is the new optical size naming convention breaking fontspec/XeTeX optical size selection? I've tried

\setromanfont[OpticalSize=72]{Arno Pro}

and this made no difference.

Simple saying:

\setromanfont{Arno Pro}

seems to select either a small (8pt) font or a semibold -- probably the former.

If I want the 10pt, then I have to ask for that explicitly:

\setromanfont{Arno Pro Regular 10pt}

Stephen Moye