[XeTeX] On cross-language font selection

Jjgod Jiang gzjjgod at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 08:02:01 CET 2007

Hi,

2007/2/14, Akira Kakuto <kakuto at fsci.fuk.kindai.ac.jp>:
> Why don't you use the "same font" for Chinese and English?
> (no glyph in the ascii range?)
> It will be better from the point of view of design of fonts
> not to change font if possible even in the mixed typesetting.

Well, I believe the best thing in XeTeX is I can try and mix whatever
font I wish. For myself, here are a few points:

1. Most latin characters in Chinese fonts are not very pleasant to
look at.
2. It's impossible to find a font cover full UCS4 ranges.
3. I can try different combinations to see which latin fonts fit the CJK
font best typographically.
4. Normally I don't have the license to modify either the latin font or
CJK font, I just have the license to use/embed them.

- jjgod.