[XeTeX] pdfpages

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Wed Feb 14 01:27:26 CET 2007

Hello Alex,

On 14/02/2007, at 10:02 AM, Álex Bueno wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering if there is a good way to insert full-page pdfs with
> XeTeX, given that pdfpages doesn't work <http://tug.org/mailman/htdig/
> xetex/2006-September/thread.html#5082>, or if I'm missing some key
> concept. I'm trying to insert pdfs as plates, without page numbers or
> captions; just the pdf page exactly as it is.
>
> I've tried some ways to get this to work, and none does it right.
>
> The best solution is just inserting a figure within a text block that
> starts at (0,0), but I don't want it to get a figure number. And I
> can't find a way to get it to skip a figure number (shouldn't it be
> figure*?).
>
> \begin{textblock}{1}(0,0)
> 	\begin{figure}
> 		\includegraphics[height=11in]{foo.pdf}
> 	\end{figure}
> \end{textblock}

Which package defines the  {textblock}  environment?

But whichever it is, surely it doesn't make sense
to have a floating figure inside ...

> Getting rid of the figure environment gets rid of the numbering
> issue, but the pdfs don't float in the text but rather are overlaid,
> and don't rasterize properly and come out very soft (apparently due
> to the overlaid text?).

  ... as it looks like  {textblock}  is placing its contents
at a fixed location on the page, without having it interact
with other elements --- hence the overprinting.

Thus in your coding above, the figure just floats away,
presumably to the page after where the textblock acts,
thereby putting nothing at all.

> So the issue seems to be how to get a floating textblock in a
> separate page (to get rid of the page numbers); I tried to make a new
> float environment, but it appears beyond my current ability in TeX.
>
> I would much appreciate anyone's help with this.

If your pictures fit within the typeset area of the page,
then you could just use:

\clearpage
\thispagestyle{empty}
\includegraphics ...
\clearpage
... etc. ...

However, if you need the pictures to be the full size of the page,
then your  {textblock}  environments might still work,
when used as follows:

\clearpage
\thispagestyle{empty}
\begin{textblock}{1}(0,0)
  \includegraphics[height=11in]{foo.pdf}
\end{textblock}
\vfill
\clearpage
   ... etc. ...

> Best,
> Alex

After these "blank" pages are done, do you want
the page-numbering to continue from their previous count?
If so, then you'll need to reset the page counter:

\addtocount{page}{-<number of plates>}

by subtracting how many extra pages have been produced.

Hope this helps,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au