[XeTeX] footnotes with opentype superscript, and bibtex with xetex (quotes and hyphens)

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 12:04:32 CET 2007

On 06/02/2007, at 8:16 , Álex Bueno wrote:

> On 05 Feb 2007, at 7:07 am, Will Robertson wrote:
>
>> If you wish to continue with the codes, no problem; just use the
>> RawFeature option:
>>    \fontspec[RawFeature={+sups,-onum}]{...}
>> It still won't validate your input though (i.e., check that the
>> feature exists in the font). Maybe I should change that.
>
> Does using the other format (Numbers=Lining) validate?

Yep. It will spit a warning if you attempt Numbers=Lining (et al.)
and the font doesn't support it. There's no reason I couldn't do it
with RawFeature; I must have just been lazy when implementing it.

>> Hmmm. I can't reproduce the problem. But I'm probably not using the
>> same version of fontspec as you. Does this work for you?
>>
>> \documentclass[12pt]{article}
>> \usepackage{fontspec}
>> \setmainfont{Warnock Pro}
>> \begin{document}
>> \makeatletter
>> \def\@makefnmark{{\addfontfeatures
>> {Numbers=Lining,VerticalPosition=Superior}{\@thefnmark}}}
>> \makeatother
>> test\footnote{blah}
>> \end{document}
>
> You're right; I must not be using the same version. That gives me a
> whopping 98 errors and two warnings. I'm using the fink unstable tex
> installation, which includes v1.12. I'm guessing then I should be
> using a more recent package. Any particular package recommendable?

I would have expected it to work regardless...(I assume you adjusted
the font being requested? Oops, I should have used Hoefler Text.) If
you can post the console output, that'd be helpful in working out
what the problem was.

Oh, also, the Numbers=Lining is unnecessary. I've never heard of a
font with both uppercase and lowercase superscript numbers. (Adam?)

> And according to Chicago (which incidentally doesn't work too well in
> TeX using jurabib with footnote citations), the note numbers should
> be full size, not raise and followed by a period.

Yep, that's what my code should have done.

> Anyway, there's something wrong with that code above; maybe it's just
> because I'm not up to date. It doesn't like the \@makefntext. It
> compiles but gives a 'Missing \begin{document}' warning, and prints
> out akefntext. So I tried getting rid of the '@' (\makefntext), and
> that didn't work either.

You need to wrap it in \makeatletter...\makeatother like my example
above.

Will