[XeTeX] xdvipdfmx and Type1 fonts

Roland Kuhn rkuhn at e18.physik.tu-muenchen.de
Thu Feb 1 13:51:20 CET 2007

Hi!

When I was still using pdflatex, I created a setup which would allow
me to use Garamond Premier Pro glyphs for the letters (also greek)
and digits in math mode. The solution is heavily using virtual fonts
and based on the excellent otftotfm tool. When I discovered XeTeX, I
was extremely happy that I could use the system installed Optima
font, but being limited to cm for maths tuned my enthusiasm down a
few notches. However, that didn't last very long, because once I
discovered that xdvipdfmx can handle virtual fonts, I was extremely
happy again ;-)

There's only one small nitpick; it's really not a show-stopper
because everything works quite nicely now: math mode now gets only
pixel-based pk fonts (setting the resolution to 1200dpi gives
acceptable results) instead of my carefully converted Type1 fonts.
pdflatex used my fonts/map/dvips/lcdftools/lcdftools.map file to
embed the Type1 fonts, but somehow xdvipdfmx does it differently.

Does anybody know where I have to put the mapping information between
TeX font names and pfb files for xdvipdfmx?

And another thing: I noticed that Garamond in normal text is a bit
(between 5--10%) larger than my math mode Garamond. I assume that has
to do with

\defaultfontfeatures{Scale=MatchLowercase}

in my preamble. How can I fix the scaling so that the normal text
roman font gets a factor of 1?

Thanks,
                     Roland

--
TU Muenchen, Physik-Department E18, James-Franck-Str., 85748 Garching
Telefon 089/289-12575; Telefax 089/289-12570