[XeTeX] Problem with oldstyle figures

James Crippen jcrippen at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 04:28:47 CET 2007

I'm using some updated Adobe fonts and can't get the +onum feature to
work, whether done in raw XeTeX, or using Fontspec in XeLaTeX. In the
past I got oldstyle figures with any of +smcp, +c2sc, or +onum using
various Adobe fonts. With these new versions of their fonts I only get
them using +c2sc, and never with +onum.

The fonts in particular that I've tested include Adobe Garamond Pro,
Minion Pro, and Warnock Pro. Older versions of these worked fine, but
I upgraded them yesterday and they broke with XeTeX.

The fonts all work as expected in applications like TextEdit, Pages,
etc. Poking around inside them seems to show that the +onum feature
should be working. They're only broken in XeTeX.

I'm on Mac OS X 10.4.11 with XeTeX 0.996 and Fontspec 1.13.

Has anyone else encountered this? I couldn't find anything applicable
in the archives.

Thanks,
James