[XeTeX] ifpdftex, ifxetex and dvipdfm

Pablo Rodríguez oinos at web.de
Tue Dec 18 01:06:30 CET 2007

Hi there,

thinking about helping to extend movie15 to dvipdfm (I cannot promise
anything, because I must first learn how to do it ;-)), I have
encountered an issue.

movie15 is written with two outputs in mind: pdftex and dvips. The main
structure is based on ifpdf-conditionals. To improve dvipdfm support in
movie15 (without having to rewrite the package from scratch), it would
be necessary a conditional to separate different outputs for dvips and
dvipdfm.

I guess ifxetex is not the package, because xdv2pdf cannot process
dvipdfm specials (AFAIK), but even then dvipdfm(x) are still there and
xetex doesn't use them.

I'm new to this, but the issue here is that both dvips and dvipdfm come
  after TeX processes the source file, so an ifdvipdfm cannot be used
here. At least, as far as I know.

Is there a way to write a conditional that avoids the use of options in
the package? Or how can I get different outputs for dvips and dvipdfm?

Thanks for your help,

Pablo