[XeTeX] inserting swf animations with xetex

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sun Dec 9 17:49:36 CET 2007

On 9 Dec 2007, at 8:10 am, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:

> latex->dvi+dvipdfmx doesn't seem to work. Probably it is because the
> dvipdfm driver is not so extended as the pdftex or dvips drivers (for
> example, dvipdfm driver doesn't honor the bookmarksopen option in
> hyperref).

I don't think dvipdfm had any support for this option, but ChoF added
a feature to dvipdfmx last year to enable it. So I guess hyperref's
dvipdfm support would have to be extended in some way to use this.

(BTW, the terminology here gets a bit confusing: when I say "the
dvipdfm driver", I usually mean the actual dvipdfm executable that
converts DVI to PDF. But sometimes we use the same term "driver" to
refer to the LaTeX macros that a package like hyperref, graphicx,
pgf, etc use to adapt their output to work with a particular dvi-to-
whatever executable. So saying "dvipdfm driver doesn't honor..."
could indicate a limitation in either the executable driver, which
might not have any support for this feature, or in the LaTeX macros,
which might not know how to communicate it to the executable.)

> The problem is then in hyperref, if I'm not wrong. Exactly in the
> dvipdfm driver, but first of all: is the one and the same dvipdfm
> driver
> for (x)dvipdfm(x) or are there different ones?

AFAIK, the same hyperref dvipdfm "driver" (in the LaTeX sense) is
used for all the (x)dvipdfm(x) family of drivers (in the executable
sense).

I don't know whether swf support can be achieved just by adding some
support at the macro level, or if it will need additional features in
the executable itself.