[XeTeX] String manipulation (substr and similar) in XeLaTeX

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 16:19:42 CET 2007

On Dec 4, 2007 1:14 AM, Jan Zahornadsky wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've just came over this problem -- is there a package or method how to
> manipulate strings (as packages like coolstr, substr and similar do)?
> They seem to work with XeLaTeX as long as the parameter contains no
> special symbols (the 128 same-mapped characters, I suppose).
>
> How to perform similar manipulations in the unicode? Are there some
> built-in functions in XeLaTeX? Is it at least possible (by updating
> existing packages)?

I don't use that package, but did you try to contact the author and
ask him to update it, so that it will support XeTeX?

> Thanks a lot in advance for any answer, any idea!
> Jan

Another, *much* more radical move, would be to give LuaTeX a try (but
you would have to sacrifice LaTeX in that case).
(In that case you could use a proper programming language (lua) to
manipulate your string in whatever way you would want to. But it takes
some time to "install" it and to learn how to use it, and it's still
beta. Depends on your needs ...)

Mojca