[XeTeX] defining fonts in plain TeX files

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Aug 22 21:15:06 CEST 2007

On 22 Aug 2007, at 7:56 pm, Brian wrote:

> On Aug 22, 2007, at 12:13 PM, Jonathan Kew wrote:
>
>>> If I use \font\normaltext="Times Roman", if fails, saying it can't
>>> find the file.
>>
>> Could we please see the actual .log output this produces, including
>> the error message about the font? Unless you have uninstalled Times
>> Roman on your Mac, I'd have expected this to work.
>
> I haven't uninstalled anything.
>
> Here is the entire log output:
>
> This is pdfTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.40.3 (Web2C 7.5.6)

OK, this explains things.... you're running pdfTeX, not XeTeX. In
which case you need to use the "traditional" TFM names such as ptmr
or something; it doesn't know anything about Mac OS fonts or "real"
font names.

If you want to run XeTeX (and thus access the Mac's fonts, use
Unicode, etc), you need to select it as the typesetting program from
TeXShop's popup menu, or use the comment

   %%!TEX TS-program = xetex

at the beginning of your file to specify this.