[XeTeX] lmsans font [was: from teTeX-3.0 to TeXLive 2007]

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Wed Aug 22 16:10:39 CEST 2007

Am 22.08.2007 um 15:21 schrieb Mike Maxwell:

> If it were a programming language, I would use a
> debugger or stick some print commands in.  But that doesn't work
> here :-).

It works very well:

	\ifpdf
	   \immediate\write16{\jobname: Bonjour, PDF!}			%%%%
	   \usepackage{cmap}
	   \usepackage[pdftex]{graphicx}
	   \DeclareGraphicsExtensions{.png,.gif,.tif,.jpeg}
	   \usepackage[activate={true,nocompatibility}]{microtype}
	\else		% for non-pdfTeX
	   \immediate\write16{¡Hola \jobname: DVI!}			%%%%
	%   \DeclareGraphicsExtensions{.eps,.ps}
	   \usepackage[dvips]{graphicx}
	   \usepackage[protrusion=true,expansion=false]{microtype}
	\fi

	\immediate\write16{voranlen  ist \the\voranlen}
	\immediate\write16{zurucklen ist \the\zurucklen}

	\newwrite\foo
	\immediate\openout\foo=\jobname.sizes
	\immediate\write\foo{\the\latexitdepth (Depth)}
	\immediate\write\foo{\the\latexitheight (Height)}
	\immediate\write\foo{\the\latexitheight (TotalHeight)}
	\immediate\write\foo{\the\fboxsep (fboxsep)}
	\immediate\write\foo{\the\fboxrule (fboxrule)}

> Bruno's msg suggests that these \terms actually appear in one of "the
> class file or one of the style files".  How would I have figured that
> out?

Every text in any TeX file stands in some context. The header of a
paragraph might be the argument of a \section{} call. So find the
header file that #defines \section{}. In TeX speak it's a CLS or
class file (formerly also known as a STY or style file). When you're
not using some extra class the \section{} call is defined in
article.cls, book.cls, and report.cls. The last two also define
\chapter{}, because an article never has chapters. All three have the
\paragraph{} call defined.

> And to find that file, do I have to look through every file in my
> TeX path?

No, it's sufficient to check the LOG file. Often it's enough to read
what "packages" (STY or CLS files) are used by your source file via
\usepackage{}.

> Aren't there a lot of those files which are irrelevant?

Yes, 10,000 or more. As in C, Fortran, Perl ...

> Or is there some way to narrow the path to the packages actually
> used in my
> doc (and preferably, narrow the path and search for the command
> automatically)?

LOG file(s). An important one is the <format>.log file: it names all
STY, CLS, and other files that were used to create the xetex or
xelatex FMT files. This is the "standard library" used.

--
Greetings

   Pete

A morning without coffee is like something without something else.