[XeTeX] from teTeX-3.0 to TeXLive 2007

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Wed Aug 22 14:16:44 CEST 2007

Am 22.08.2007 um 12:52 schrieb Jonathan Kew:

>>> No, it's not. XeTeX writes a \special into the XDV file:
>>> pdf:pagesize
>>> width 423.94606pt height 597.50787pt. Both xdv2pdf and xdvipdfmx
>>> seem
>>> to read, understand, and apply this.
>>
>> I'm not sure that's true any longer. XeTeX now uses the same
>> \pdfpagewidth and \pdfpageheight primitives as pdfTeX, and as a
>> consequence TeXLive-2007 includes a special configuration file tex/
>> xelatex/xetexconfig/geometry.cfg which, when read by XeLaTeX,
>> specifies the pdftex driver.
>
> Ah yes.... but the effect of setting \pdfpagewidth and \pdfpageheight
> is that xetex automatically inserts the papersize \special into
> the .xdv output -- that's how it passes the information on to the
> driver.

Right, these are two different things. And neither setting these two
values or using a \special{} seems to be needed.

> (I think Peter must be using a recent (post-TeXLive) development
> version, as the form of the special has recently been changed and
> he's quoting the new one.)

And right again: I was referring to the formerly Anne{}-Marie faulty
version 0.997. The elder version 0.996 does not seem to record any
paper dimensions in the XDV output, so Pablo's description is valid
for this case, as we all know, but then he wouldn't have found the
Anne{}-Marie bug ...

I haven't had the time to check the development version 0.997 more,
whether it always works so well, and also with rotated pages, but it
looks better than before. And even recent TeXShop understands the
size now – but still not its orientation!

--
Greetings

   Pete

There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does
not want merely because you think it would be good for him.
                                            -- Robert Heinlein