[XeTeX] from teTeX-3.0 to TeXLive 2007

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon Aug 20 11:53:56 CEST 2007

On 20 Aug 2007, at 10:28 am, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Then, if Latin Modern is indeed fontspec's default choice of fonts
> when none are specified by the user -- and the [cm-default] option
> isn't used --, why aren't fontspec and/or xdv2pdf set up to find them
> by default?

The trouble is that fontspec's default is to load the LM fonts *by
filename* rather than by font name, and xdv2pdf doesn't support this.
(It could be enhanced to do so, but the performance would be awful
because it would repeatedly invalidate the ATS font caches each time
it activated an uninstalled font file. As we'll be moving away from
this as the default driver anyway, I don't think this is worth doing
at this point.)

> I have no idea who's culprit here, but isn't a default
> setting supposed to work out-of-the-box?

Yes, it ought to. Sorry; this represents a discrepancy between xetex
and fontspec in the particular versions that went into the TL release.

> And to me the following:
>
> \documentclass{book}
> \usepackage{fontspec}
> \begin{document}
> Anne{}-Marie Anne-Marie
> \end{document}
>
> seems as close to use of default settings only as could be.

For the sake of argument, I'd say that

   \documentclass{book}
   \begin{document}
   Anne{}-Marie Anne-Marie
   \end{document}

is the real "default", and that should work fine. If you add

   \usepackage{fontspec}

this implies you want to specify non-default fonts; and if you do so,
using \setmainfont{<fontname>}, it'll also work (though with the pre-
release v0.997, you'll get the hyphen bug that started this thread).

The problem arises (on Mac OS X only) if you load fontspec but
*don't* explicitly specify new fonts, which is a slightly odd
"default" -- it seems somewhat pointless. But I agree that it ought
to work, and it should be OK (again) in the next release.

Sorry for the current glitch!