[XeTeX] Problem with ITC Stone Sans Std

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Thu Aug 16 13:09:06 CEST 2007

On 16 Aug 2007, at 9:47 am, Cyril Niklaus wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm trying to use ITC Stone Sans Std in one of my documents, but if I
> specify the font like this:
> \setsansfont[Scale=MatchLowercase]{ITC Stone Sans Std}, the font
> selected is ITC Stone Sans Std Phonetic, not the Medium. And since
> the Phonetic only has a few glyphs, problems arise.
> I know that by specifying Medium, the right font is selected, but I
> was curious to know if anyone here would venture a guess as to why
> the Phonetic fonts gets selected by default.
>
> ITC Stone Sans Std otf, 2003 Adobe.

I don't have a copy of this font family, so can't look at it in
detail to see if there would be ways to improve the heuristics xetex
uses when you just specify a family name. I guess both the "Medium"
and "Phonetic" faces share the same family name and both have
"regular"-looking style bits, so xetex can't reliably tell which one
it should pick as the default face for that family.