[XeTeX] tikz incompatible with xcolor's option dvipsnames ?

Manuel Souto Pico m.soutopico at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 14:18:23 CEST 2007

Thanks for your reply, Jonathan!

2007/8/14, Jonathan Kew <jonathan_kew at sil.org>:
> On 14 Aug 2007, at 6:02 pm, Manuel Souto Pico wrote:
>
> > 2007/8/4, Jonathan Kew <jonathan_kew at sil.org>:
> >> I believe the problem is that PGF (the graphics layer below TiKZ)
> >> doesn't recognize xetex automatically. Your example works for me if I
> >> add the line
> >
> >        \def\pgfsysdriver{pgfsys-dvipdfm.def}
> >
> >> before loading the TiKZ package; this explicitly sets the driver
> >> for it.
> >
> > This didn't work for me.
>
> If you're using a Mac, you'll need to ensure that you use the
> xdvipdfmx output driver, not the xetex default of xdv2pdf, which
> can't handle packages like PGF/TikZ. To do this, run xelatex with the
> command line option
>
>     xelatex -output-driver="xdvipdfmx -q -E" yourfile.tex
>
> or create a new "XeLaTeX-xdvipdfmx.engine" file in ~/Library/TeXShop/
> Engines that includes the -output-driver option, and then use this
> within TeXShop.

Yes, I had already created this engine.

> Note that if you have a %!TEX TS-engine line in your source, this
> will *override* any selections in TeXShop's menus, so you need to
> specify the xelatex-xdvipdfmx engine there.

I wasn't aware of this. Now I've changed the first line to:
%!TEX TS-program = xelatex -output-driver="xdvipdfmx -q -E"
but the problem persists (compiling with the engine XeLaTeX-xdvipdfmx).

> >> I tried this using TeX Live; since the TL release, PGF has been
> >> updated and the latest release should work automatically with xetex.
> >> So another option would be to update your packages.
> >
> > I think I've got pgf's latest version (1.18).
> >
> >> (I also note that you're running an older release of xetex, and have
> >> a number of packages installed in a local texmf tree; it may be that
> >> updating to a newer distribution overall would be worthwhile.)
> >
> > I switched to Mac and MacTex not long ago and still I don't know very
> > well how to update tex packages. When I used ubuntu, synaptic (or
> > apt-get) made things really easy. Any suggestion as to how I should
> > update to xetex 0.006?

Sorry, of course I meant 0.996

> > It must be very obvious because I haven't found
> > any reference to it on the web...
>
> It should be possible to simply install the current MacTeX
> distribution; if you have an older version (predating the TeX Live
> 2007 release) already installed, the two will co-exist and you can
> use the TeX Distributions preference pane to select which is active.

But this is not updating...

> For this to work, you'll also need to update the preferences in
> TeXShop (or whatever environment you're using) to refer to the TeX
> programs in /usr/texbin instead of the older, distribution-specific
> paths. Depending how your existing setup is configured, you might
> need to modify shell startup files /etc/profile and/or /etc/csh.login
> to put /usr/texbin in your PATH instead of an older directory such
> as /usr/local/teTeX/bin/....

Cheers, Manuel