[XeTeX] tikz incompatible with xcolor's option dvipsnames ?

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Tue Aug 14 19:32:59 CEST 2007

On 14 Aug 2007, at 6:02 pm, Manuel Souto Pico wrote:

> 2007/8/4, Jonathan Kew <jonathan_kew at sil.org>:
>> I believe the problem is that PGF (the graphics layer below TiKZ)
>> doesn't recognize xetex automatically. Your example works for me if I
>> add the line
>
>        \def\pgfsysdriver{pgfsys-dvipdfm.def}
>
>> before loading the TiKZ package; this explicitly sets the driver
>> for it.
>
> This didn't work for me.

If you're using a Mac, you'll need to ensure that you use the
xdvipdfmx output driver, not the xetex default of xdv2pdf, which
can't handle packages like PGF/TikZ. To do this, run xelatex with the
command line option

    xelatex -output-driver="xdvipdfmx -q -E" yourfile.tex

or create a new "XeLaTeX-xdvipdfmx.engine" file in ~/Library/TeXShop/
Engines that includes the -output-driver option, and then use this
within TeXShop.

Note that if you have a %!TEX TS-engine line in your source, this
will *override* any selections in TeXShop's menus, so you need to
specify the xelatex-xdvipdfmx engine there.

>> I tried this using TeX Live; since the TL release, PGF has been
>> updated and the latest release should work automatically with xetex.
>> So another option would be to update your packages.
>
> I think I've got pgf's latest version (1.18).
>
>> (I also note that you're running an older release of xetex, and have
>> a number of packages installed in a local texmf tree; it may be that
>> updating to a newer distribution overall would be worthwhile.)
>
> I switched to Mac and MacTex not long ago and still I don't know very
> well how to update tex packages. When I used ubuntu, synaptic (or
> apt-get) made things really easy. Any suggestion as to how I should
> update to xetex 0.006? It must be very obvious because I haven't found
> any reference to it on the web...

It should be possible to simply install the current MacTeX
distribution; if you have an older version (predating the TeX Live
2007 release) already installed, the two will co-exist and you can
use the TeX Distributions preference pane to select which is active.

For this to work, you'll also need to update the preferences in
TeXShop (or whatever environment you're using) to refer to the TeX
programs in /usr/texbin instead of the older, distribution-specific
paths. Depending how your existing setup is configured, you might
need to modify shell startup files /etc/profile and/or /etc/csh.login
to put /usr/texbin in your PATH instead of an older directory such
as /usr/local/teTeX/bin/....